Oily skin may be caused by:
- A genetic predisposition
- Hormone imbalance
- Excessive washing (and from ingredients that strip your skin’s protective layer, which sends signals that your skin is dry and to produce more oil)
- Inappropriate skin care product ingredients (i.e. silicones in moisturizers and makeup, they act like plastic wrap on your skin, sealing in what needs to naturally flow out). The wash-out effect can take place removing your own natural lipids, allowing harsh air-borne contaminants to invade along with precious water loss, creating an imbalance of that protective layer of your skin.
How to counter these effects:
- Restore the skin’s natural water and oil balance
- Correct the skin’s hormone imbalances (via topical applications)
- Increase the hydration levels, creating a lovely balance of water and oil within
- Establish the proper balance of healthy oils and eliminating unhealthy oils
Which treatments we recommend:
- Our Introductory Facial Packages: Using the non-invasive OBSERV device, we can see beneath the surface of your skin to get an idea of the oil content and health of the oils in your skin, inflammation, pigmentation, along with a few more images. Next, an in-depth consultation will allow us to discuss and take a close look at your history of skin care rituals, products, health, habits, and lifestyle to see where adjustments and suggestions can make a huge difference. Following these two crucial assessments is a customized facial that will target oily skin. A treatment plan of regular facials will be suggested, with frequency dependent on what came up during the consultation.
- Facials: Although they say that oily skin ages slower than dry skin, it can still be a challenge. The shine, the larger pores, the look of makeup, even wearing glasses can be troublesome. Facials, especially in combination with our dermaviduals® products, will improve the balance of your skin. The Natural Moisturizing Factor (NMF) of the skin will assist in the proper absorption of nutrients. With oily skin, the surface layer can thicken because of sebum build up or be dry on the surface but the pores steadily produce excess oil. Often comedones (blackheads) or milia (whiteheads) are a big part of oily skin. Ingredients that dry out the skin can be counterproductive as your skin will send signals that it is drying out and produce more oil.
- Cleansing – it is important to know that even frequent degreasing and with the wrong ingredients will intensify oil production. A cleansing routine without emulsifiers, harsh ingredients and preservatives will assist in balancing the oils of your skin.
- Toning – Often oily comes with blemishes. With hyperactive skin, it needs effective first-aid measures to restore the natural balance. Sometimes the skin can be oily beneath the surface and dehydrated on the outside. We have two lotions (toners) to meet both these needs to correct and bring your skin to balance. One is for dry yet blemish prone skin and the other for very oily blemished prone skin.
- Moisturizing - we use ingredients that absorb and become your lipid barrier as opposed to using mineral oil, silicones or preservatives, which can harm and create an oil imbalance of your skin.
- Makeup – To avoid counterproductive effects, it is wise to check the label and stay away from silicones, emulsifiers, and preservatives. Talc often clogs pores, making it look worse. Alternatively, Zinc oxide and titanium dioxide in makeup will not clog pores and give a luminescent appearance.
Benefits of using dermaviduals® and treatments:
- Reduces the appearance of pores
- Reduces oiliness and shine
- Reduces redness